Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Few Reasons Why I Ditched (For Now?) Facebook

facebook.com
This morning, as ready as I was to work starting with searching for a website that could convert pdf to jpeg; and vice versa online, I realized I was typing 'facebook' in the address bar. At exactly 5 days ago, tapping those keys was part of the daily routine. Each moment I opened a browser, Facebook came first before any other necessary/unnecessary reels of sites. I actually had two Facebook accounts, one in which I got thousands of contacts; for my students, acquaintances, not-so-close friends and not-so-close relatives and the other one - which I only had less than 50 contacts - for my closest friends, cousins and immediate family members ONLY; a group of people whom I could show my REAL FORM (insert coffee and evil grin). So it has been sometime since I ditched my first account (the almost public one) and just 4 days ago with my second account (personal). Did I miss it? Definitely yes. Definitely maybe. Definitely not.  

I joined Facebook way back 2009. It was just one of the many platforms I got busy with apart from Friendster, Multiply and Wayn. Eventually, it stood out among the mentioned social avenues up to date. I got addicted to Facebook; from home to work to wee hours - when I get awake in the middle of the night - I checked and later realized that I have spent more than enough time on it. Who doesn't? Well, if you don't, good for you.

While rummaging online, I found a lot of people who have quit Facebook since long time ago. They have their reasons for quitting. Reasons that I find sensible enough to quit from such social medium than mine. Regardless, we have the same denominator; to get unleashed from the time consuming Facebook. What are my not-so-sensible reasons? Here they are:

ANIME SERIES
Naruto Shippuden. An anime/cartoon about a boy named Naruto Uzumaki, a loud, hyperactive, adolescent ninja who constantly searches for approval and recognition, as well as to become Hokage, who is acknowledged as the leader and strongest of all ninja in the village. This! Since time immemorial I have been following from episode to episode and season to season but have to stop somehow due to my gray and frenzied hurly-burly work back then. And now, since I got an extra decent time in hand, am on to finishing this before attending to the second reason of ditching Facebook.

TV SERIES
How I Met Your Mother. A sitcom about Ted; a smart, semi-formal and a hopeless romantic achitect, who is narrating to his children about how he met their mother and his awesome moments with his friends throughout. (Huh? Still? You may react, but yeah.) Yes. Too shallow again, right? I am already halfway to the end of the 5th season. Heard this TV series long time ago but I wasn't that interested until just these days. And, right after the end-finale of this series, I will be burying myself to...

THE SAGA
Game of Thrones; The Song of Ice and Fire. A series of epic fantasy novels written by American novelist and screenwriter George R. R. Martin. The story of A Song of Ice and Fire takes place on the fictional continents Westeros and Essos. The point of view of each chapter in the story is a limited perspective of an assortment of characters that grows from nine, in the first, to thirty-one by the fifth novel. Three predominant stories interweave: a dynastic war among several families for control of Westeros; the rising threat of the superhuman Others beyond Westeros' northern border; and the ambition of Daenerys Targaryen, the exiled daughter of a king, to assume her ancestral throne (Wikipedia). Totally! I kind of watching its TV version but got so frustrated with the twists these script writers made, so here I say am ditching it as well and on to get lost with the paperback!

These are just the three major, selfish, non-sense reasons I have (still got lots; but can't think of them for now, LOL). But for me, these are more sensible stuffs and worth doing than Facebook-ing.

How about you, can you ditch Facebook?


2 comments: