Sunday, February 21, 2016

So Early And So Hungry Already? Here's Why!

On the way to work this morning, I wasn't feeling fine despite my comfortable position (slouched and so ready to doze off; which I do every single time of going to and fro work) with music on point. I was feeling a stinging pain in my stomach. I was hungry. Like so hungry that I haven't eaten anything for the whole week.

I did every diversion so to forget the hunger - edited recently taken photos, checked unread in ibooks, read a page of 'Let Me Call You Sweetheart', edited my music playlist - BUT you just can't turn hunger off unless you have something to chug down. I rummaged my bag for a pika-pika but to no avail. No biscuits, candies or water with me. I have my lunch pack though and a Siopao (shout out to Ate Amy, Thanks!) but I am not comfortable eating in the car with the driver and I don't want to share (yes, that's it, I don't want to share :-P) so I waited till I reached the office.


After all the buzz and fuss, I decided to do a research on why did I feel that hunger so early in the morning the fact that I was so full the night before - I had dinner and a midnight snack. And the culprit was no other than...

Yep, Dunkin Donuts!

Around almost midnight, I went out to meet a friend at Dunkin Donuts and was able to consume 2 donuts (so unlikely me for I seriously don't like sweets - like donuts sweet) despite the full dinner that I had.

Anyway, according to LiveStrong.com "When you eat a meal at bedtime, particularly one rich in sugars and other simple carbohydrates, you generate an insulin surge from your pancreas. Upon retiring, this insulin begins pushing glucose into your cells, a process that continues as you sleep. During the night, a continual drop in your blood glucose stimulates the release of counter-regulatory hormones, leading to stimulation of your appetite centers. Unless you get up in the middle of the night to satisfy your appetite, you will be hungry upon arising in the morning."

Now we know.

P.S.  finished the whole Siopao (almost as big as 3 donuts-with-fillings layered up) and a coffee. I am now feeling bloated. (*ugh!)

No comments:

Post a Comment